Onee-chan no Midori-kun 22


READ ONEE-CHAN NO MIDORI-KUN 21 HERE

Picking up immediately from the previous chapter, Sui tugs on Ayame's sleeve and pulls him aside.


Sui (whispering): Hey, what's with that... that tone?
Ayame: Nothing. I was being normal.

Sui pouts a little and thinks to herself, 'If you put it that way, then I can't say anything back...'


Ayame: Well, I'm participating today with a motive in mind, so don't mind me. 👍✨
Sui: Eh-
Ayame: Then, let's go to Sui's house-
Midori: ...Oh- (?)

Sui is slightly confused and bewildered.


The 3 of them are now arriving at Sui's house.

Ayame: Then, when you go back, I'll lend you the bishoujo games that I recommend.
Midori: Eh, is that ok? I've only ever played action games before, so I'm excited to try.
Ayame: You're welcome to get hooked. ✨
Sui: ...... (Who would have thought that he'd be interested in Ayame's bishoujo game lectures...)

What happened earlier:

Ayame: You need to improve your character's stats and also continually invite the girl on dates. During breaks, if you approach the girl where they'll be, such as the classroom, you can increase her affection for you. There are many types of systems.
Midori: Heh- Bishoujo games are so deep-
Ayame: That's right! In the latest game, my favourite is...


Sui panics internally, 'Meanwhile, I'm getting more and more nervous the nearer we are to home...!'

She remembers what Midori had said earlier (previous chapter): "At least for today, I want to drink, even if it's just a little."

Sui glances at Midori and thinks to herself, '...Nonetheless, even though he looks calm, I'm sure Midori-kun is way more nervous than I am.'

(Ayame is telling Midori that he will lend Midori three of his games, and Midori is answering that he can't handle so many.)

Sui takes a few deep breaths in an attempt to calm down.


Reaching for the main door, Sui turns to Ayame and Midori and says, "...Then, let's go in."

Midori looks like he's bracing himself.

However, the door unexpectedly opens from inside. Midori goes, "Ah-". Momo (carrying Mochi) comes out, asking, "What are you all doing at the porch?"

Sui realizes with some shock, 'Onee-chan...!'

Sui: No, we were just about to go in... (she looks at Midori)
Midori: Ah...


Momo: Long time no see, Midori.
Midori: Yeah, long time no see.

Sui watches their expressions and behavior.


Midori: Sorry, were we being noisy?
Momo: Ah- no, it's just because Mochi seemed to sense people at the door and was fidgety, that I noticed.
Sui: ......
Momo: It must be cold outside; come in, come in.
Midori: Okay. Let's go in, Sui-chan.
Sui: Ah, okay.

Sui wonders, '...Huh? Even though I was so nervous, they seem kinda normal...?'

While Sui pours drinks in the kitchen, she continues thinking nervously, '...That's what I think, but I honestly have no idea what they are truly feeling in their hearts...'

She glances at Midori and Momo, who are in the living room.

Midori: Mochi, are you wearing a Halloween costume today? (You're so cute- 💕)
Momo: Yeah, Mochi's an angel.


Sui continues thinking to herself while observing Midori and Momo, 'Very harmonious...? No matter what it is, the one who created this situation is none other than myself. Anyway, I need to make sure the atmosphere doesn't get weird...'

Midori (to Momo): ......I can feel that person's gaze.
Momo: Well, it seems she's worried. (About us.)

Midori peeks at Sui, who notices his gaze. She flinches, then looks away quickly, pretending that she wasn't staring at them.

Midori: Pfft! ...Really, she's still the same old good kid, that Sui-chan.

Momo seems surprised for a moment, then answers, "Of course, that's our Sui-chan."

Someone interrupts to announce, "Alright, look here."


Sui: Ayame?
Ayame: Um- Considering that today's gathering is to cheer Midori-kun up, and also to do some Halloween-related things... I've prepared costumes for everyone to change into. (I borrowed them from the drama club.)

Sui, Midori and Momo stare blankly while Ayame hands each of them a bag of clothes, "Here, this is Sui's. Midori-kun. Momo-nee."

Ayame: Then, let's go change and re-assemble.
Sui: Eh- No!
Momo: Isn't it fine? It looks fun.
Midori: Heh- This is my first time putting on a costume. (Thank you, Ayame-kun.)
Sui: Why are you two grown adults so excited about this?!

After getting changed, Sui is trembling with indignity and embarrassment, going, "...Someone, just bury me already..."


Ayame is dressed in a matching outfit to Sui's (black cat to Sui's white cat), but he's busy taking pictures of her. Momo and Midori are in matching Chinese-style clothes.

Ayame: Per.fect.
Sui: Stop taking pictures!
Momo: You're so cute, Sui- ❤
Midori: The cat outfit looks good. (Though you look like a bunny, too.)

Sui looks like she's going to explode anytime. (Momo tied Sui's hair into cute pigtails.) She thinks, 'I want to dig a hole and just jump into it...'

She throws a mini tantrum, complaining, "At least, let me remove these cat ears...!"

Midori goes up to Sui and stops her from removing the cat ears.

Midori: No, no, the ears are the whole point of it. (Alright, don't move-)
Sui: Wha-
Ayame: You get it, Midori-kun. 👍(Good job.)
Midori: I'm a vet after all ❤
Sui: Ridiculous! (I don't want this kind of vet!)


Sui pouts, "You're making fun of me again."

Midori looks at Sui and seems to realize something, then he pauses and blanks out for a moment.

Sui: ? Midori-kun?
Midori (snaps out of it): Ah-...
Ayame: Midori-kun, please move aside. I can't see Sui.

Midori takes Sui's cat ears and puts them on himself. He goes, "Chinese-style cat ears ❤", and everyone just stares at him lamely.


Sui: Eh- are you okay? Midori-kun, isn't it tight?
Ayame: Sorry, I'm not interested in looking at a 26 year-old guy with cat ears.
Midori: *stabbed by arrows*
Momo: Pfft- Ahaha! You're an uncle, Midori.
Midori (pouting): Momo-chan, you've got no right to laugh.
Ayame: No, I think that there's still a demand for (26 year-old) Momo-nee in cat ears.
Midori (going to Momo): Then, here. Momo, you're it.
Momo: Eh?! No, it's too tight.
Midori: Come on, there's a demand for it. ★
Sui: ......


Ayame (to Sui): I'll lend you my cat ears. I want to take a picture of the Sanae sisters in cat ears.
Sui: Absolutely not!
Momo: I'll do it for 50 thousand yen (~USD300+) per shot. ★
Midori: Oh- That's tough-
Ayame: I'll pay with my salary from my part-time job 👍✨
Sui: Don't just agree to pay!

Sui narrates: ...Somehow, even though I was feeling nervous all by myself, seeing this lively atmosphere makes me feel like I was worrying too much.

(Sui mentions that they should eat cake. They have Halloween tarts from ONiSE. Momo agrees that they should.)


The four of them go on to have a good time - enjoying the Halloween tarts, playing games and laughing together.

Sui narrates: Even though I started it; it's a strange situation, and I don't really know what the two of them are thinking, since they both look like they're having fun and laughing, I guess it's for the best.


A while later, they are looking at Midori's albums of Pii-chan.

Sui: C-cute~~~~!
Midori: Right-? They're all pictures of Pii-chan that I didn't upload on Insta. ❤
Sui: This kind of picture is so healing.
Midori: I know, right? It's so healing. (Pii-chan's butt.)
Sui: The round body and tiny little tail; it's the best!
Ayame: Ah, Mochi is jealous.
Sui: !! Mochi, your butt is adorable, too. (Of course.)

Momo: Sorry, Midori, could you pass me that?
Midori: Hm? Ah. Here. (He passes Momo her phone.)
Momo: Thanks-

Sui and Ayame notice the interaction. Sui thinks, 'He understood what "that" was.'


Ayame remarks, "So in sync. As expected, the two of you are still a good match."

Midori and Momo look at Ayame. Sui freezes, then thinks, 'AYAME?!?!'

Ayame continues, "How about it? Now, like three years ago-" before he's interrupted by Sui grabbing his hand and tugging him out of the living room.

Sui: Ayame, I have something I want to pass to you, so let's go to my room!
Ayame: Eh, what, what...

Sui slams the door behind her and Ayame. Midori and Momo are left behind, staring after them.


Once in her room, Sui kabedons Ayame. 

Sui: What was with that, earlier?
Ayame: What's with what? (he's thinking to himself, 'Reverse kabedon... ❤')
Sui: What, you say! All those things about being a good match! Onee-chan and him were being normal, but you've created a weird atmosphere between them...!
Ayame: Ah- But that was my motive for today. I've coined it as "Operation: Let Momo-nee and Midori-kun Get Back Together".

Sui is stunned.

Sui: No...... what?
Ayame: That's why, to me, this is the perfect opportunity.
Sui: Ah! What, is that why you brought the costumes in pairs?
Ayame: Bingo~

(Earlier, after everyone had changed into their costumes, Ayame had commented to Momo and Midori, "Wow- The two of you are such a matching Chinese pair." and Sui thought to herself, 'Matching Chinese pair??')


Ayame: It's a well-thought out plan, right?
Sui: ......Even though you took great pains to plan this, I think it's mostly impossible.
Ayame: Eh? Why? The two of them were getting along so well and in sync, too...!!
Sui: How do I put this? The two of them are eagerly looking forward, and have already said that they have no regrets or lingering affection.
Ayame: 
Ayame: ? That's all?
Sui: ? Is that not a sufficient answer?


Ayame: That's just what they said before today's meeting, right?
Sui: Eh?
Ayame: Things like not having anymore lingering affections; even if that's what they truly think, I don't think they would know how they will feel until they meet again. It's someone they loved before, after all.


Sui looks surprised as Ayame's words sink in. She remembers how Midori and Momo were like.

Sui: You're right.
Ayame: Right? Actually, there was a scenario like this in my bishoujo masterpieces.
Sui: Your bishoujo games sure cover a broad range of scenarios, eh?

Sui thinks, '...That's right. It's just like my past self, who fell for someone impossible for me; two people who loved each other went their separate ways.'


Sui continues thinking, 'Nobody can predict how a person's feelings will change, and how much they will change.'

Sui feels her heart squeeze. She thinks, 'Hm?'

She narrates: In the first place, I wonder what made Midori-kun decide to meet onee-chan today - was it because I said I was worried about him, or because he felt that he wanted to see onee-chan?

In the living room, Midori and Momo are still seated at the kotatsu. Mochi is blissfully sleeping.


Momo: ...Pfft, he said that we're a good match, huh.
Midori: I know, right-
Momo and Midori: *looks at each other*
Momo and Midori: Say,-

They both pause and smile at each other.

Momo: You can go first.
Midori: No, no, ladies first.
Momo: Then, I'll accept your kind offer.
Midori: Please do.


Momo: ...Since it's been a long time, shall we have a little chat? Just the two of us.
Midori: Okay. I was thinking the same thing.

The narration reads: Somehow, I thought I felt a familiar, nostalgic pain. It must have just been my imagination.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi, I just wanted to say a huge thank you for your amazing work translating Onee-chan no Midori-kun! Your translations are always so well done, and I really appreciate the effort you put into bringing this manga to us.If it's not too much trouble, I was wondering if you might consider translating Koiseyo Mayakashi Tenshi-domo in the future? The english translation is so behind.Thanks again for all your hard work!