Te wo Tsunagou Yo 29


READ TE WO TSUNAGOU YO 28 HERE

Mizuki is at home, studying. However, he is swaying from left to right and frowning. Ryuusei, who's sitting next to him playing on a tablet, notices.


Mizuki: I can't. It's not going in anymore.
Ryuusei: Hah? Study.
Mizuki: I can't.


Ryuusei: If you're like that, what are you gonna do when you get failing marks again? And you got Tachibana to tutor you too.
Mizuki: It's precisely because of Tachibana-san! Tachibana-san and Azuki-san are being strange...!
Ryuusei: Azuki's always been strange.
Mizuki: Yes, you're right, but... How do I put this? The two of them are not being their usual selves.


Mizuki: Azuki-san's concentration span when studying is about the same as mine, but for the past few days, she studies silently, as if she's been possessed by a study ghost. On the contrary, Tachibana-san spaces out, like he can't focus. Moreover...

Mizuki thinks, 'It was probably since that day. It was like there was an invisible wall between the two of them. They weren't avoiding each other and talked like normal... but something was different.'


Mizuki continues thinking to himself: At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but it's been a few days...

Ryuusei goes, "If you're that worried, why don't you give it a shot?"

Mizuki stares at Ryuusei, then asks, "Detective Hiiragi?" and Ryuusei answers, "Detective Mizuki ✨"

Mizuki looks determined and gives a thumbs up, saying, "That's exactly what I was thinking!"

At school, Mizuki peeks into class 2-G. He thinks to himself, 'I don't know if it's a delicate topic, so I need to investigate this carefully.'

He spots Chika in the classroom, chatting with a classmate. He notices that Azuki is not with Chika, nor in class.


Mizuki narrates that Chika and Azuki didn't reveal anything when they were with him (when walking to school in the morning), so if he observes them from afar, perhaps he can discover something.

While thinking to himself that since Azuki isn't around and he'd come back later, Azuki goes up next to Mizuki, going, "Suspicious person spotted."

Mizuki thinks to himself, 'Investigation subject number 2 found.', while Azuki remarks, "That posture of yours feels like deja vu... You're investigating something, right?"

Mizuki realizes that he's been found out! (because he copied Azuki's detective style). He thinks, 'I had planned to secretly observe them and try to figure out something, but...'

He says to Azuki, "Since I've been discovered, come here for a bit." and grabs her wrist.


Mizuki pulls Azuki away and Chika seems to notice. Mizuki narrates that he's going for the direct method now.

Reaching the stairwell, Mizuki corners Azuki and goes, "Please confess. I already have the evidence."

Azuki (confused): I don't understand what's going on, but can we just sit down first?
Mizuki: Nope. We're staying like this until you 'fess up.
Azuki: 'Fess up, you say... but what-
Mizuki: The reason Azuki-san and Tachibana-san have been acting strange these days.


Mizuki: Did something happen?
Azuki: --...Nothing.
Mizuki: I knew you'd say that.
Azuki: Eh-
Mizuki: You had an awkward pause earlier, so I don't accept your answer.
Azuki: Uwuh- That's because you suddenly said something strange, Hiiragi-kun.
Mizuki: Nah. It's strange that the outspoken Azuki-san would be at a loss for words like that.
Azuki: It's not strange.
Mizuki: It is strange.
Azuki: I said it's not strange, so it's not.
Mizuki: I said it is, so it is.

Azuki gets annoyed. She goes, "It's not stran-", but Mizuki cuts in and says, "I can tell, you know. Ever since I moved here, I've always been with you guys. I can tell when there's a change between the two of you."


Mizuki continues, "...I say that, but I also think that it may be a bit intrusive for me to intervene like this...! Even so, I can't just stand aside and do nothing, so how about talking to me about it?"

Azuki looks at Mizuki, then thinks of Chika's expression from before.


Azuki replies, "...I just don't know what to do."

She narrates: At that time, it seemed like Chika-chan's smile was saying, "Don't ask". I know he's hiding something, telling a lie, but I couldn't say anything.

Azuki says, "I couldn't ask about anything."

However, she suddenly adds, "If it were the usual me! If something was bothering me, I'd use various methods, go through trial and error until it was resolved! ...However, when I think about how Chika-chan will force a smile and reject me again if I ask persistently, I get scared and can't do anything."


Azuki's gripping the hem of her skirt and smiling painfully. She narrates: Even though there's absolutely no excuse to remain like this.

Mizuki sees her expression and is silent for a moment.

Mizuki: Azuki-sa-
Azuki: ...But well, this is totally not like me at all. I'm really no good, huh.
Mizuki: Eh?
Azuki: For making Hiiragi-kun worry unnecessarily, I'm really the worst of the worst!
Mizuki: No, Azuki-san-
Azuki: You went to the trouble of listening to me, but in the end, it's up to me to do something about it.


Giving Mizuki a pained smile, Azuki says, "I'll do my best so that this issue can be resolved. You don't have to worry."

Just then, the school bell rings. Azuki goes, "Well then, I'll get going." and Mizuki responds by going, "Ah, okay."

Mizuki watches as Azuki goes down the stairs. He thinks about how Azuki once said to him about Chika: "Being next to Chika-chan is the most important."


After school, Chika is at the shooting range. He's practicing his aim, but many of his arrows miss. He sighs to himself.

He recalls Azuki's forced smile and her apology back in the library. Just then, he finds his phone vibrating and when he checks it, he sees a message from Mizuki.

Mizuki's message says: We've completed our study goals for the day. 📖
There's also a picture of Azuki and Mizuki's peace sign and thumbs up.


Another two messages from Mizuki come in: By the way, can the two of us meet after this?

Chika and Mizuki are now at a diner. The waitress cheerfully serves their food and is charmed when thanked by the good-looking boys.

Pushing the bowl of katsudon towards Chika, Mizuki goes, "...Now, first off, please eat this."

Chika: Hah? (It's not for you, Hiiragi-kun?)
Mizuki: Nope. It's because katsudon is a must for inquiries.


Chika: Inquiry, you say...
Mizuki: Now, eat up!

Chika recalls seeing Mizuki pulling Azuki aside earlier at school today, and asks, "...It's about Azuki, right?"

Mizuki answers, "That's right. ...These days, I've been thinking that the two of you have been acting strangely. I questioned Azuki-san and learnt about what's happening. ...To be honest, I'm kinda angry right now!" 

Chika: Eh?
Mizuki: I'm thinking, you're lying and hiding something; making Azuki-san feel sad. Just what is wrong with you, Tachibana-san!


Mizuki continues, "...But I thought about it more. Someone like Tachibana-san, who treasures Azuki-san so greatly, might have a reason to be so stubbornly hiding something from her. ...Tachibana-san, what are you thinking about?"

The two boys look at each other. Then, after a pause, Chika says, "...I'm just timid, that's all."


Chika elaborates, "The numerous wrongdoings I've committed in the past; my pathetic, miserable self - I just don't want Azuki to know-..."

Chika narrates: The me of that time only knew how to run away; from my idiotic self, who was unable to do anything.

Chika adds, "Finally, she took my hand, but if I tell her everything, it might be ruined."


Chika narrates again: I'd already decided not to run away anymore.

He says with his head hanging down, "But I'm scared. Of her becoming disillusioned with me."

Mizuki looks solemn and remains silent. Then, when Chika looks up, he suddenly finds Mizuki eating the katsudon.

Chika is bewildered. Mizuki goes, "Sheesh."


Mizuki huffs, "Are you both so scared of each other that you can't move? Or are you too in love with each other?"

Chika: Huh...
Mizuki: I mean! Tachibana-san, you're so preoccupied with protecting yourself that you're unable to see what's important. ...I don't know the details of what you're trying to hide, and you don't need to tell me about it, but no matter what it's about, don't you think you should face Azuki-san properly instead of lying and hurting her? You say that you don't want her to see the miserable and pathetic side of you, but the Tachibana-san now is just as miserable and pathetic.


Mizuki adds, "...Even though she's been pushed away by you, even though she's scared, Azuki-san is definitely trying to face you."

We see Azuki at her desk, writing a letter to Chika. She's already scrunched up multiple pieces of paper, showing how many times she's tried to rewrite it.

Chika recalls the things he said to Azuki (from Chapter 25): Azuki, you don't need to be the only one to do your best. So that you'll be glad that you're together with me, I'm also going to do my best to make Azuki happy.

He bites his lips.


Chika then suddenly grabs his bag and stands up. He slams money onto the table (for the food) and says to Mizuki, "I'll be back."

Seeing that Chika finally understands, Mizuki smiles back at him, going, "Okay!"


Chika narrates: ...Really, how much of a pathetic person am I--...

Mizuki watches as Chika runs off and smiles a little to himself.

Turning back to the katsudon, he thinks to himself that he will eat it and return home. However, he notices the 5000 yen bill that Chika placed on the table and is surprised.

He thinks to himself, 'Why did he leave money behind... (I already said that it was going to be my treat.)' However, he imagines Chika saying, "I can't possibly make you pay after you gave me a kick to my ass, right?" and tells himself that he will return Chika the money tomorrow.

Mizuki notices that it's begun to snow (even though it felt like it was a clear day).

He thinks, '...It'd be nice if the two of them go back to their usual selves tomorrow-...'

Comments