Onee-chan no Midori-kun 19


READ ONEE-CHAN NO MIDORI-KUN 18 HERE

Picking up from the previous chapter, Midori had asked Sui, "Is Momo well?"


Sui is surprised for a moment, then she thinks, '...Uh...Th-that's right! What am I doing! Leisurely having meal and chatting?!?! With my older sister's ex-boyfriend, no less!'

She bangs her head on the table, startling Midori.


Midori: Eh? Sui-chan?
Sui: Uh, it's nothing. Sorry. ...She's doing well. Still the same.

Midori looks surprised, then his expression changes to a relieved one.

Midori: I see. Speaking of which, I saw it recently. The new season of "Kazuya and Miwa". Momo was credited as Director. (I was so surprised that I gasped out loud.)
Sui: That's right. Isn't she cool? My onee-chan.
Midori: Why are you so triumphant, Sui-chan?
Sui: Because it's my onee-chan. ✨


Midori answers, looking a little wistful, "Well, but I get it. I was delighted, too."

Sui's eyes widen in surprise, and she goes, "...Midori-ku-" but she is interrupted by Haru delivering their food.

Haru: Thank you for waiting- Mi-chan, your omurice and Sui-chan, your napolitan.
Midori: Thanks, Haru-kun. 😄
Sui: Thank you.
Midori: To me, Haru-kun's napolitan is the best. (His omurice as well.)
Sui: Ah, yes, it does look delicious.


Sui uncomfortably thinks to herself and glances at Midori, '...I wonder what Midori-kun thinks.'

She recalls that Momo had said, "Nope, I don't think so." and "Towards Midori, I have only gratitude." and thinks, 'Onee-chan had said that, but maybe Midori-kun...'

Midori starts eating while Sui is still staring at him, thinking. He notices her gaze and teases, "What-? Staring at me like that."

Sui: Hah?! I wasn't staring...!
Midori: There you go again- I know, I'm good-looking ❤
Sui: Bleargh- Enough already. I'll start eating. (Itadakimasu!)
Midori: ...Say, Sui-chan.


Midori asks, "Could it be that you're worried about me? Whether or not I still have feelings for Momo or something-"

Sui stops her chewing to look at Midori. After swallowing, she answers, "...I'm not really worried, but... I was kinda wondering what Midori-kun thinks now...'

Sui narrates: That day, three years ago, Midori-kun had said, "I don't regret my decision.", and that was definitely his real feelings. However, I know how much he really loved onee-chan.

Midori answers, "...Hm- I don't think I do; Lingering attachment, I mean."

Sui is stunned.


Sui thinks to herself, 'So easily...! Just like onee-chan... so easily!'

Midori: Well, it's been a long time, so I do think I want to see her. There are times when I think of seeing her.
Sui: Eh, isn't that having lingering attachment, then?
Midori: You don't get it, do you, Sui-chan.
Sui: Hah?
Midori: I'm able to feel this way because I was able to reorganize my thoughts during these past 3 years. To me, if Momo is doing well and working in the environment that she's always dreamed of, that is the best. I support Momo's dream; All this time and even from now on, it will never change.

Sui narrates: No matter when it is, there's just no way I can understand everything about the relationship and feelings shared between the two of them.


Sui answers, "Somehow it's very you, Midori-kun."

She continues narrating: Even though comparing now and before, their relationship is completely different, they are still thinking for and about each other.

Midori suddenly points at his face with a cheeky smile, going, "That said, how is it? The Midori-kun of today? ❤"

Sui eats another spoonful of her food, chews and swallows while Midori continues smiling. 

Sui: ? What?
Midori: Geez- What, you say.


Winking at Sui, Midori goes, "I'm not making a weird expression, right?"

Sui is lightly taken aback at his words. 


Sui recalls their exchange from Chapter 16: "Midori-kun...! Didn't I tell you before not to make your strange expressions?! You dummy-..." "I will certainly smile happily in the future."

She also recalls her thoughts about Midori in Chapter 16: 'Please smile happily, will you?'

Sui sees Midori smiling at her, going, "See? I'm smiling."


Sui narrates: I see, that's why I felt disappointed back then. I wanted to ascertain whether he was smiling, or whether he was making weird expressions again. There was no way to ascertain it even though I wanted to, and in my heart, I must have been bothered by it. I must have wanted to get to know the current Midori-kun.


Sui continues narrating: That's why I wanted to meet Midori-kun.

Having sorted out her thoughts, Sui reveals a beautiful smile, saying, "Yes, you're not making a weird expression."

Midori stares at her brilliant smile, then catches himself.


Midori: Say, what? Sui-chan, were you also capable of making such an expression? (This uncle's heart skipped a beat.)
Sui: Hah? What?

Later, after eating, Sui and Midori are outside Haru's restaurant.

Sui: Thank you for the food.
Midori: You're welcome. Are you really going to be fine without me giving you a lift?
Sui: Yes. There are buses available and I want to drop by the supermarket.
Midori: I see. Then, I'll head towards the carpark... Ah, do take care of me the next time I visit the bakery to buy cakes~ I look forward to trying ONiSE's new grape tarts.


Sui (smirking): When that happens, you better be prepared to contribute to the cake sales.
Midori: Gotcha- (Say hi to Momo for me-)

While watching Midori leave, Sui turns away and sighs a little to herself. She takes another look at his retreating figure and thinks, 'I feel like it was just a coincidence, but I'm glad that I was able to meet Midori-kun here, today, and was able to talk to him today. It's like my memory of saying "Goodbye" to Midori-kun was overwritten by "See you next time".


Sui then remembers, 'The bus timing...! I wonder what's on the timed sale-' and walks away.

Across the street from Sui, Ayame happens to see her. He's surprised, thinking, '...Eh? Sui and Midori-kun...?'

Sui narrates: I couldn't figure out my feelings, but somehow, I guess I'm moving forward.

At home, Sui has showered and is drying her hair. She thinks to herself that she should get a haircut soon. (She has split ends.)


Sui thinks back to how Midori had asked her about her twin pigtails. Looking at her reflection in the mirror, she uses her hands to hold up her hair in twin pigtails, thinking, '...Hmm, I guess I could rearrange it...?'

Ayame suddenly appears beside her, going, "What are you doing?"


Sui gets frightened by Ayame's sudden appearance. She jerks around, her heart jumping out of her chest.

Sui: Uwah! You frightened me...!! (Knock when you enter...!)
Ayame: I did knock. (Three times, too.) What, are you tying your twin pigtails again?
Sui: !
Ayame: Seems like the tsundere twin pigtails are making a comeback. I'd welcome them with open arms 😊
Sui: A-as if! I was just trying them out a little. Anyway, is something up?
Ayame: Yes. You met Midori-kun today, didn't you?

Sui and Ayame stare at each other for a moment.


Sui: Eh, why do you know about it?
Ayame: I saw it after finishing my otaku activities, on the way to my part-time job.

Ayame grabs Sui on her shoulders and leans into her.

Ayame: So? How was it, meeting Midori-kun again after 3 years? Anyway, what were you doing? Why did you meet him? Tell me why.
Sui: Wai- Too close! I was delivering a cake and just happened to meet him by chance, so we talked for a bit, that's all.

Pushing Ayame away, Sui goes, "Okay, let go. (Sheesh.)"

Ayame remains silent, then asks Sui a question.


Ayame: Do you think that you still have feelings for Midori-kun?

Ayame looks solemn and Sui looks at him.

Sui: There's no way it's possible, right? It's already been three years, you know. Three years.
Ayame: Eh.
Sui: ...Well, I have been thinking about various things recently. To be honest, I don't really understand it myself, but after talking to Midori-kun today, I realized that in the past 3 years, I always wanted to know if Midori-kun was smiling.


Sui continues, "I understood that that was the reason I wanted to meet him. After finding out, I feel like my mind has cleared up."

Ayame remains silent upon hearing Sui's words and thinks back to his view of Sui and Midori parting.


Sui: ...Well, that's why, I might have caused you to worry about me or something, but it's fine already. Thank you for everythi-
Ayame: Okay.

Ayame stands up abruptly.

Ayame: Well then, I've gotten what I came here to ask, so I'll head back. I have a new game to download at 12am.
Sui: Eh-
Ayame: Seeya. Sorry for intruding.
Sui: Eh?

Ayame leaves abruptly, closing the door behind him. Returning to his bedroom, he plops face down onto his bed.


After lying down for a short while, he turns his head to look at the Mochi soft toy on his bedside table (refer to Chapter 14).

Ayame thinks to himself, '...Saying "There's no way it's possible", do you know what kind of face you were making?'


Comments