Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai 61 *SPOILERS*

READ HANANOI-KUN TO KOI NO YAMAI 60 SPOILERS HERE

At School

Hananoi's narration reads: After falling in love with me, you've changed little by little. What were you like when you just fell in love with me--...

After school, Hotaru approaches Hananoi and asks to talk.

Now, they are seated together on a park bench. Hotaru updates Hananoi that she's asked her mother about her grandfather. Hotaru tells him, "I'm repeating myself, but it's not your fault and there's nothing to worry about."

Serious Talk

Hananoi: Okay... I understand, but-
Hotaru: I...I think that my grandfather wouldn't want Saki-kun, his friend, to make such an expression either...

Hananoi's expression softens a little into a tiny smile, but he still looks down. Upon seeing Hananoi's expression, Hotaru thinks to herself that her words did not reach him, but it's to be expected, as she doesn't even have any memory of talking with her grandfather.

Hananoi: ...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say it, after all. To cause you to worry like this...
Hotaru: That's not true! Don't think like that. I've also said this before, but Saki-kun, it's fine if you express your discontent more. It's weird that you don't have anything to say about me...

Hotaru clenches her fist, pauses, and continues, "...Saki-kun, when you are having a hard time, I said that I'd want to be by your side. Even though I made the promise... I didn't keep it, and I'm very sorry..."

Hananoi replies, "Don't apologize. Hotaru-chan, you did nothing wrong. The incident with Yao's family was a matter of life and death... Moreover, if there was someone in the same kind of trouble right in front of you, I'm certain that no matter who it was, Hotaru-chan would have chosen to do the same thing."

Hotaru begins to retort, but can't say anything in response. Hananoi glances at Hotaru hanging her head down and thinks, 'That reminds me, long ago, mother also once promised me the same thing.'

There's a short flashback of Hananoi's memory of his mother saying to him, "Remember this. I love Saki the most in this world. If you call out, 'Help-', Mummy will fly back to your side. I promise."

Hananoi then tells Hotaru, "...It's alright, I'm not bothered by it."

Later in the evening, Hananoi opens his mailbox and finds a letter. It says, "From Chizuru Hananoi and Hayato Hananoi". Hananoi sighs to himself.

At the Bookstore

On another day, Satomi approaches Hotaru and asks timidly, "Um-... I don't know if I should ask, but Hotaru-chan, did something happen with Hananoi-kun? There's something awkward about the two of you... and you've been coming at different shift times more often too."

Hotaru awkwardly explains that it's because their end of term tests are approaching, which Satomi accepts with a huge sigh of relief. She was worried about whether Hotaru and Hananoi were having a fight.

Hotaru laughs awkwardly, and thinks to herself, 'We talked a few times after that, but Saki-kun's expression didn't lighten up. I guess there's no point in telling him repeatedly not to worry...' 

She recalls how Hananoi had mentioned, "Hotaru-chan would have chosen to do the same thing." and thinks to herself that she was unable to say that she wouldn't. She wants to cherish Hananoi more, but doesn't know how to.

Behind Hotaru, Nishi glances at her silently.

After Work

Hananoi closes his locker with a sigh. Nishi pops into the locker room and asks if Hananoi is going home, startling Hananoi a little.

The two of them walk to the elevator.

Nishi: Well, I was wondering if it's my fault that you and Hotaru have been so distant recently. Look, if it's about getting Yao-kun's contact information that time... it was unnecessary of me to have said it.
Hananoi: What is it, are you feeling bad or something?
Nishi: Half apologetic, half curious.
Hananoi: What? 😒

Hananoi looks annoyed and is about to retort, but he then lets out a sigh and says, "Nope, it's not related to Nishi-san or Yao. Please leave me alone."

Nishi silently looks at Hananoi. The lift arrives and Hananoi is about to enter, but Nishi suddenly grabs his arm, going, "Saki-kun, are you hungry?"

Ramen Shop

Nishi and Hananoi end up at a ramen shop. Nishi orders two shoyu ramens and a plate of gyoza

Hananoi (slumping on the table): Geez... What's with this... Was Nishi-san like this...? I thought that you were the kind who disliked getting involved with others.
Nishi: It's not like I dislike it just because I'm shy. I'm quite interested in you.
Hananoi: Even though it's clearly written on my face that I'm a troublesome person...?
Nishi: Being troublesome doesn't mean I'll hate it, right?

Their food arrive. Nishi immediately retrieves his chopsticks and starts slurping the noodles down. Hananoi awkwardly goes, "...Itadakimasu." and starts eating as well.

After they finish their food, Nishi asks, "---...So? Why are you fighting with Hotaru?"

Hananoi: I'm not saying.
Nishi: It's not like I wanted to tear up the relationship between the two of you~ I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help the two of you make up, you know?
Hananoi: There's none.
Nishi: Then, whatever Saki-kun feels like doing now is also fine.
Hananoi: I just want to be alone at a place where no one's around......
Nishi: I see... Okay, got it.
Hananoi: Huh?

Car Ride

Nishi appears in front of Hananoi again with a car, him in the driver's seat, and the passenger's seat open to Hananoi.

In the car, Hananoi wonders out loud to himself, "What is this situation...? Scary..." and Nishi answers, "Relax, it's fine. This isn't a stolen car or anything."

Nishi: The ramen shop was my parents' place. This is their car.
Hananoi: That's not what I was asking.
Nishi: Would you like to play some music? ...Ah- this car only has my music-... (I'll stream from my phone, then...)
Hananoi: ...Whatever is fine. I'm not interested...

The Sea

Nishi brings them to the sea. While Hananoi looks out to the sea, Nishi tells him, "Be alone as long as you like. (I'll wait in the car.)"

Hananoi walks along the shore. The cold wind is blowing strongly. Hananoi thinks to himself, 'This is the first time I've been to such a vast sea. I wanted to come with Hotaru-chan... I've always wanted to go somewhere with Hotaru-chan. To a place where there is no one but us.'

Then, he thinks, 'Ah-... What am I doing... From the beginning... I've always...'

Hananoi's Memories

There's a flashback of Hananoi's various memories.

-Being shy and alone in elementary school
-Overhearing his grandmother on the phone, speaking heatedly
-Eating by himself while his uncle and aunt welcome their son
-Sitting alone at the park bench, then Hotaru's grandfather approaching him
-Dropping his pencil case in elementary school, its contents spilling out. When he crouches down to gather the items, someone else appears to help
-Noticing that it's Hotaru who came to help. Startled, he quickly bows in gratitude and runs away. However, Hotaru catches up to him, breathless, to pass him his eraser.
-Reuniting with Hotaru again in Chapter 1 when she shelters him from the snow.

Go Back to the Car

It starts to rain. Hananoi looks up into the sky, then looks down at the sea water by his feet. He takes a step into the water, but an umbrella appears over his head.

It's Nishi, who goes, "Mm, my bad. It's started to rain, so time's up."

Back inside Nishi's car, Hananoi hugs his knees on the seat (he removed his shoes and socks, presumably because they got wet from stepping into the sea). After a while, Hananoi begins to talk.

Hananoi: Anyway... Why are you doing all this for me?
Nishi: Hmm- Because your troubled look made me wonder, 'Is he still alive-?' 

Nishi: I don't understand the feelings of people who are into love, so I wanted to try asking.
Hananoi: Ah... For your song-writing.
Nishi: Well yes, to be frank.
Hananoi: My view on love is too biased to be of any help.
Nishi: That's what's interesting about it.

Hananoi sweatdrops while looking at Nishi, then turns away and sighs.

Hananoi's Thoughts

Hananoi: ...In the beginning, I wanted someone to look at me... More than family, friends or anyone else. Someone who would prioritize me and care about me. However, when the person you love starts doing that, I wonder... is this okay...?

Hananoi: To make matters worse, I feel guilty for taking away her time with someone important to her. (He's referring to Hotaru and her grandfather)

Hananoi: Once she found out, Hotaru-chan being kind, kept telling me not to worry. ...I shouldn't have told her... If it were the past me, I would have been happy to tie her to a world with me... but now, I'm not happy at all.

Hananoi: Because if it wasn't for her, who would reach out to anyone, she wouldn't have found me. Because that is the kind of Hotaru-chan that I fell in love with--...

Hananoi narrates (he's thinking about Hotaru and tearing up): I always understood. You didn't know what "special" meant. Every person you meet is special to you. I'm hopelessly in love with that part of you.

Hananoi then thinks, '...I see. What is the most important. I understand now.'

Sunrise

Nishi is now driving Hananoi back home. 

Nishi: Uwah- Oh no, I kept you out for so long. (It's already morning...)
Hananoi: Don't worry, my parents are not at home.
Nishi: ...I'm bored, can you play some music?
Hananoi: Fine...

Hananoi presses some buttons on the car's dashboard and music starts playing. Hananoi recognizes it as the song that Nishi let them listen to before.

Hananoi: Lyrics about wasting time with words, I feel like I can understand. It's also not like I read books because I like reading them.
Nishi: Saki-kun, you're actually a loner, aren't you?
Hananoi: You couldn't tell?
Nishi: I was bullied in middle school, so I also had a time when I didn't want to go out. In high school, if I appeared stern, no one messed with me anymore.
Hananoi: Ah...I see.

Hananoi notices the sky and takes a picture of it with his phone. His finger hovers towards Hotaru's name on his phone, but he doesn't send the picture to her. (We see from his phone screen that there's a message from Keigo.

Nishi: By the way, Saki-kun.
Hananoi: Yes?
Nishi: Instead of just reading, why don't you yourself write?
Hananoi: Eh...?
Nishi: I mean, I thought again today that you are really interesting. I just wanted to see what you would create.

For the rest of the car ride home, Hananoi wonders to himself, 'Writing it myself, huh...'

What's Up with Hotaru

At home, Hotaru wakes up to the sunrise as she looks out the balcony. Finding the sky pretty, she also takes a picture of it on her phone.

She opens up her chat window with Hananoi, but hesitates sending the picture to him. Then, a chilly wind blows by, causing her to shiver and return indoors.

On her desk, she sees the note she wrote on her board: Make up with Saki-kun and have an enjoyable school trip!

Hotaru gets pumped up.

The days pass - Hotaru does her revision, they have exams, and it's now finally the day of their school trip. Hananoi and Hotaru come face to face with each other at the train station.

Comments