Onee-chan no Midori-kun 15


READ ONEE-CHAN NO MIDORI-KUN 14 HERE

Today is Midori's birthday - 15 August.

Sui is at home with Mochi and she's talking to him about Midori, "Midori-kun must be enjoying birthday bliss right now. He's really loved, huh? I feel kinda jealous. 😤 Onee-chan's so busy, she hasn't been resting properly and it's tough for her every single day. Today, she still has to celebrate for him after work. It's love, huh! Midori-kun is such a lucky fellow! Am I right, Mochi?!"

Mochi simply looks at her, confused. Sui pouts, then sighs.


Sui thinks to herself, 'I kinda wanted to wish him a happy birthday, too...'.

However, she suddenly freezes and halts that thought. She then corrects herself in her thoughts, 'Am I in any position to say that?! Forgive me, onee-chan, I was just thinking it in my head a little...!'

She then narrates: I can't give him my well-wishes, but it'll be great if Midori-kun can be full of smiles tonight.


Meanwhile, at dinner, Momo and Midori clink glasses.

Momo: Happy birthday, Midori.
Midori: Yeah, thank you. ...Somehow, I'm feeling nervous and a little embarrassed.
Momo: It's our first time, isn't it? Celebrating in such a formal manner.
Midori: Being 23 years old isn't anything special. It would have been completely fine even if you just wished me normally like how we've been doing it.
Momo: What, you're not happy with this?
Midori: Of course I'm super happy.


Midori adds, "Nonetheless, in some ways, I'm still worried."

Momo's expression changes for a moment when she hears Midori's words. However, after a pause, she teasingly answers, "Alright, alright, thank you for your concern, but at this time, you should obediently enjoy yourself!

Midori: Yes. Apologies.
Momo: Furthermore, I'm already a member of society. Doing something like this once in a while is fine, isn't it? I also wanted to make it up to you for the festival.
Midori: ...I see. After all, I'm still just a poor student living off my parents (5th year vet student); I must be a really lucky guy to be brought to this kind of place ✨
Momo: You can worship me, you know.
Midori: Momo-sama ❤


Midori and Momo's food arrive and they start eating.

Midori: Mm! This is delicious, too. (Seems like some kind of duck meat.)
Momo: It's my first time having duck, but I don't think I dislike it.
Midori: Right? Hah- This birthday present is so delicious~ (Thank you so much.)
Momo: Ah, right. Your present. I didn't have the time to buy it, so let's go and buy it together next time.
Midori: Eh? It's fine, though. Today's meal is already enough. (It's not cheap, either, right?)
Momo: No, I won't be satisfied just leaving it like that. I'll buy whatever you like, okay, Midori?
Midori: ...Eh- Then, I wonder if you'll buy me a car ❤
Momo: Hey! That's way over budget!

Momo: How about next Sunday?
Midori: I have the night shift for my part-time job, but before that is fine.
Momo: Then, it's decided. Think about it well, alright? What you want.
Midori: Other than a car, you mean? 😏
Momo: Yes, other than a car.

Momo's phone vibrates with an incoming call.


Momo: Ah, sorry, can I take this call?
Midori: Yeah. Is it from work?
Momo: Yes.

Picking up the call, Momo speaks softly into the phone.

Momo: Hello? Otsukaresama desu. Ah, yes, I'm not at the office right now, but it's fine if it's a small issue. Eh, next Sunday?

Midori, who was eating, pauses when he hears that. Momo turns to look at him, then is silent for a moment.

Midori (whispering): Momo, don't worry, just-
Momo (speaking to the person over the phone): I'm sorry. I have plans on that day, so would it be okay if you looked for someone else for the task?


Midori is frozen, stunned, upon hearing Momo's decision. She continues going, "Ah, yes. I'm sorry. Thank you-..."

Memories of Midori and Momo's past conversations flash through Midori's mind.

Momo: This is just a dream of mine, but my father was really supportive of me, so I've decided that I must achieve it.
Midori: I will also always support you.

Midori to Sui, about Momo: I also like the way she's so focused and gives it her all.

Midori also recalls the time Momo brought up the idea to meet up once a week, the time he noticed her black eye rings, and the multiple times Momo had to cancel on him. He closes his eyes and clenches his fist as Momo ends her call, going, "Yes, I'm sorry."


Momo turns back to look at Midori after she hangs up.

Momo: Thanks for waiting. I'm sorry for taking this in the middle of our meal.
Midori: ...Is everything okay?
Momo: Yes. It didn't seem like a job that I had to be the one to handle, so.

Midori remains silent and just gives a pained smile as he goes, "I see."


After dinner, Midori and Momo are outside the restaurant.

Momo: That was scrumptious-
Midori: Right! I've definitely enjoyed a feast. (Thank you.) 
Momo: What shall we do? It's already late, do you want to hail a cab?
Midori: Ah- Shall we take a walk? There's somewhere I'd like to go.

Midori and Momo arrive at a bench, at a lookout point offering a view of the city lights.

Momo: Woah- This is nostalgic- The view is still wonderful as ever.
Midori: It's the best, eh-


The two of them sit down on the bench.

Midori: Hey, do you remember? What it was like when I confessed to you here.
Momo: I remember. Clear as day. We were still in high school, and I was called to come to this hill with such a beautiful view. You even had a bouquet of flowers while you confessed. It was beyond anything I imagined.
Midori: Oh my, I'm so romantic ❤
Momo: It wasn't something a 3rd year high school boy would do, huh. You were so cool, I couldn't help but laugh, geez.

Midori smiles nostalgically.

Momo adds, "When I received this ring from you, too. Until before I started working, we'd come here if there was something."

Both of them look up into the sky, reminiscing the past.


After a period of silence between the two of them, Midori begins, "...Momo. I can't make it next Sunday, after all."

Momo turns to look at Midori and goes, "...Eh?"


Midori turns to meet Momo's eyes as he says, "Let's part ways, shall we?"

The two of them look into each other's eyes. Momo sees from Midori's expression that he's being serious, and she goes, "...Eh?" again.


Momo: What are you saying-
Midori: ...Momo, for a while now, ever since you started working, truthfully, I've been feeling lonely. However, I also want for you to be able to give your all at work without needing to be concerned about me. I've been trying to act cool in front of you, so I've been idiotically acting mature and not saying what I've really been thinking. It ended up making you worry.

Midori recalls what Momo said earlier to her co-worker: "Would it be okay if you looked for someone else for the task?"

He narrates: I didn't mean to make you say that.

Midori continues, "I don't want to become a burden to you, Momo. I don't, yet I still feel lonely."


Midori smiles painfully as he says, "I'm just so contradictory, aren't I?"

Midori narrates: I can't do anything about these emotions that I can't help but feel, anymore.

Momo: ...No, that's not-
Midori (gently patting Momo's back): Momo. You should say what you're really thinking, too. It's fine.


Momo looks at Midori's gentle expression towards her, pauses, then begins, "...I'm sorry."

Her eyes brimming with tears, Momo says, "For making you say these things, I'm sorry, Midori."

She recalls the things she said to Midori before (during the barbeque session): "Indeed I would like to put my job as my top priority, but I don't want to neglect your feelings because of it, Midori."

Momo continues, "It's not that I've come to dislike you; and what I said at the barbeque wasn't a lie, but I think that the current me just can't juggle both work and a relationship at the same time. I like you, Midori, but the promise to meet up with you somewhere every week turned into an obligation. Today as well - even though I honestly want to celebrate it with you and make you happy, my thoughts of wanting to redeem myself for what I did at the summer festival are greater."

Momo recalls what her co-worker said to her: "Someday, you'll hit a dead end, you know?"

She continues, "For a long time now, we'd already hit a stalemate, but I didn't say anything and just pretended that everything was fine. When I bailed on you, it was clearly my fault, but you were so kind to me - it made me feel bitter and I thought that it would have been better if you got mad instead."


Smiling painfully at Midori, Momo says, "It would have been better if all these were said properly, huh."

Midori: ...I'm sorry.
Momo (surprised, then huffing): No, that's why I've been saying...! There's nothing you need to apologize for, Midori. All of it is my fault.
Midori: No, no, it's also totally my fault. I mean, this isn't simply about who should take the blame, right?

Momo pauses and stares at Midori. She retorts, "...But it's undeniable that I am the cause of it, so I feel responsible."

Midori answers, "Well, that's just how you are, isn't it, Momo-chan. (Even though you really don't have to.)"


Momo: I wonder if anything would be different if we had talked about our true feelings before things became like this.
Midori: ...I wonder.

Midori: Well, we're talking about the what ifs now, but till now, we've never had any fights or even any conflict - a completely smooth-sailing relationship, wouldn't you agree? That's why, we were all the more at a loss of what to do. There were indeed times when I wanted to talk about it, but I guess things had to come to this point before the words would come out.


Smiling painfully at Momo again, Midori goes, "What to do? I'm so uncool, yet I'm the biggest pretender at being cool."

Momo looks at Midori and her eyes fill with tears as she replies, "Yeah. Me too--..."

After a while, on the street, Midori asks, "Is it really fine that I don't see you back?"


Momo: Yes. I'll take a cab on the way. Let's peacefully part ways here.
Midori: ...Mm. I see.
Midori and Momo: ...
Momo: ...Well, then-
Midori: Momo- Do your best at work, but make sure to eat properly! Absolutely don't push yourself too hard and remember to take care of your health! I'm rooting for you, as I always have.

Midori and Momo both smile gently at one another.


The two of them then turn away from each other and walk away.

Midori thinks to himself, 'And so it ends...'


Momo arrives home and calls out, "Tadaima-". Sui is watching TV in the living room and turns to greet her.

Sui: Welcome home.
Momo: Oh, is Mom still not home?
Sui: Yeah. She said that she'd be late...

Sui notices something and stares at Momo.

Momo: Sui?
Sui: Onee-chan, did something happen? Somehow, you don't seem well?
Momo: ...Ah- I've been discovered- Sui-chan, you really love your big sister, don't you.
Sui (flustered): Hah?! I didn't say that-
Momo: We broke up. Midori and I.
Sui: Huh...?

Comments