Te wo Tsunagou Yo 23


In the previous chapter, Mizuki had blurted out: "...As I thought, I like you."


Chika and Azuki both look at Mizuki questioningly and go, "Eh?" "Hm?", while Mizuki himself also goes, "...Wha?"

Mizuki asks Azuki and Chika if they heard what he said, and they confirm so. Suddenly, Azuki says, “Ah!” in realization. She says, “I got it. You were talking about Ryuusei, right?”


Now, it’s Chika and Mizuki’s turn to go, “Huh?”

Azuki continues, saying confidently, “I was wondering what happened, but I understand now. After something like this happened, you just wanted to reaffirm your feelings, right–”, and she nods to herself in understanding.


Chika and Mizuki remain silent, simply looking at Azuki. She then realizes that something's off, going, "...Hm?"

Mizuki answers, "...No."


Mizuki recalls the words that he said to Chika and Azuki (from Chapter 21): "Let's go with the 3 of us." "Azuki-san and the two of us!" "I hope we can all enjoy it well."

He narrates that he initially wanted to close off his feelings with this outing. However, in his heart, there seems to be a voice telling him not to run away.


Looking straight at Azuki, Mizuki tells her that he wasn't talking about Ryuusei.

Azuki’s eyes widen in surprise and she asks, “What…?”, while Chika remains silent. Mizuki continues by asking, “...Later, I will contact you. Will you spare me some of your time to listen to me?”


Azuki agrees. Chika glances at Azuki solemnly and doesn't say anything. She narrates that the atmosphere seems to have changed.


Later, past 9pm, Daizu is fast asleep and Azuki watches over him fondly, thinking that he has the world’s cutest sleeping face. 💕

Azuki recalls that Mizuki had earlier bid goodbye to them, saying that he was going to his mother’s place first. Azuki thinks to herself that she doesn’t fully understand what’s going on with Mizuki’s family, and wonders if he will be all right.

She also wonders what Mizuki wants to talk to her about, when her phone vibrates. There are messages from Mizuki, thanking her for waiting, and that he'll be at the stairwell waiting.


Azuki informs her mother that she's going out for a while and puts on her coat. She then hears Chika call out to her through their room walls.

Chika: Azuki.
Azuki: Chika-chan? What's up?
Chika: Ah- Noth...
Azuki: Ah, Daizu is sleeping, so please be a little quieter.
Chika: Ah, okay.
Azuki: Well?
Chika: ......Ah- Have you talked with Hiiragi-kun yet?
Azuki: Nope, but I'm about to go now.
Chika: Oh-
Azuki: I don't suppose you're interested to listen?
Chika: ......
Azuki: Chika-chan?
Chika: ......If you're heading out, make sure to dress warmly.
Azuki (smiles): ...Okay. I'll be back.


On Chika's phone, there are messages from Mizuki telling him that he's going to confess to Azuki.

Meanwhile, Azuki reaches the stairwell and meets with Mizuki.


Mizuki takes out a handkerchief and places it on the step next to him, inviting Azuki to sit there. Azuki is surprised and thanks him, then goes to sit next to him.

However, the two of them remain awkwardly silent. Azuki feels like the air has frozen up. She thinks, ‘Hiiragi-kun is normally so calm, but now I can feel his nervousness as if I were holding his hand… Somehow, I feel like I’m catching his nervousness.’

Mizuki sneezes.


While Mizuki wipes his nose, Azuki starts to wrap her scarf around his neck. She gently says that it's still possible to catch a cold inside the building if one isn't careful, because the hallways are cold.

Mizuki weakly resists, saying that Azuki will be cold, but she answers that she will be fine, because she has long hair - a natural scarf.


Mizuki goes, "Pfft-" at Azuki's comment, but she retorts that even though it seems funny, her hair is indeed warm.

After a moment's silence, Mizuki begins talking.
“...Azuki-san, thank you so much for today. After we got back, I spoke with my parents about a lot of things. About them deciding to separate, about how my mother left Ryuusei without coming back; There were so many things that I didn’t know about before.”

“Ah, Ryuusei remained sound asleep, too. Till now, he hasn’t spoken to my mother yet."


"Nevertheless, I definitely feel that it’s fine now. Even if something that makes Ryuusei sad happens again, this time, I will properly hold his hand.”

With a small smile, Azuki responds, “...I see.”


Mizuki is surprised and asks why Azuki isn't asking more.

Azuki: Hm? I wouldn't do that. I don't get involved in details of other people's family affairs.
Mizuki: Even though when we first met, you asked about Ryuusei...
Azuki: That's because that situation was an emergency. Back then, you were different - you were always giving off a depressing aura.


Mizuki: That's true. Also, I had the same soft black hair as Daizu-kun!
Azuki (laughing): That’s right, that was what made me notice Hiiragi-kun. (How nostalgic.)

Mizuki looks fondly at Azuki and recalls their interaction in Chapter 1.


Mizuki: What's with your hand?
Azuki: I learned it from my mom. You can get your feelings across from where your hands touch. Your worries and sadness can all be halved. It will take some time, but your feelings will definitely reach Ryuusei-kun too, and he will smile for you.

Mizuki narrates: It all started from that day.

He says to Azuki, “It must have been since that time when I started noticing Azuki-san.”
Azuki: ...Eh?
Mizuki: I thought that you were strange.


Azuki flinches from Mizuki's remark. Mizuki continues talking.

Mizuki: Serious, obsessed with Daizu,
Azuki: Eh-
Mizuki: Very close to Tachibana-san, 
Azuki: Wha-
Mizuki: Hardworking, yet so clumsy.
Azuki: Hm?

Azuki wonders to herself if this is a complaint about her, while Mizuki adds, "You try so hard to think about how to help Ryuusei and I. Your occasional smiles are somehow really cute.”


Azuki looks at Mizuki in surprise.

Turning to look at her, Mizuki takes Azuki's hands into his and tells her, "I like you very much, Azuki-san."


After a moment’s pause, Mizuki clarifies, “Ah! I’m not talking about ‘like’, I mean ‘love’, okay? (Please don’t get me wrong!)”

Azuki blushes and goes, “Um–...”. Her heart starts beating faster, and an image of Chika’s back flashes in her mind. Azuki bites her lower lip and answers Mizuki.


Letting go of Mizuki's hands, she says, "...Thank you, Hiiragi-kun, but I'm sorry."

Azuki: ...I do like Hiiragi-kun. I also like Daizu and Ryuusei-kun... Ah, though Daizu is on a slightly different level. I like everyone, and being with everyone makes me happy. If everyone is happy, I will also be happy…


Azuki: Also, um–... uh–... well…

She pauses for a moment, then resumes.
“...I’m sorry. What I said was unacceptable. These kinds of excuses... it's not like that.”

“...I…I want Chika-chan to keep on smiling. Even though I sound really conceited saying this, I want to help him become happy."

"I’m really a fool. If it weren’t for all the different and obvious things that happened, I definitely would not have noticed.”

She narrates: There are many things I want to say and need to say. Nonetheless, there is only one thing that matters.


Turning to look at Mizuki, Azuki says, "Chika-chan is- being next to Chika-chan is the most important.”

Azuki narrates that it is the only place that belongs solely to her.

Mizuki smiles gently back at Azuki and answers, "Yes."


Azuki looks at Mizuki and goes, “...Eh…”, and Mizuki asks her what’s wrong.

Azuki: The things that I said were strange... but somehow, you're being calm...?
Mizuki: Azuki-san, do you really think so?
Azuki: So-sorry! I was kind of curious...


Looking away, Mizuki replies, “It’s because I understand.”

Suddenly changing the mood, Mizuki starts rattling.
Mizuki: I’m always being scolded by Ryuusei for being dull and foolish, but I’m super perceptive this time, aren’t I?
Azuki: Eh-
Mizuki: Good job, me!
Azuki: Wha, what??


Standing up and walking down the stairs a little, Mizuki continues.
"...In truth, I had planned on simply giving up my feelings for Azuki-san after today’s outing with the three of us. At the start, I thought that I didn’t want to lose to Tachibana-san. That was what I really thought, until the basketball match.”

“...However, Tachibana-san... was so kind towards me. I couldn't match him, be it on the strength of our feelings or other factors. It made me want to run away.”

“...Nonetheless, I’m glad that I could properly relay my feelings to you.”


Mizuki turns around to look at Azuki, and says with a smile, “Thank you, Azuki-san.”

Tears erupt from Azuki’s eyes. She thinks, '...That, that kind of-...'


Wiping her tears away, Azuki says to Mizuki, "Saying thank you should be my line."

Mizuki smiles warmly back at Azuki, while Azuki narrates: You were the first to give me the feeling of falling in love.


Wrapping up, Mizuki says after a pause, "...Anyway. Even though I like you, Azuki-san, I also like Tachibana-san." Azuki answers to say that she understands.

Taking Azuki's hand in his, Mizuki says, "That's why, Azuki-san, take care."

Azuki and Mizuki exchange gazes and Azuki seems to understand. Grabbing his hand, she answers, "Okay! I'll be off--..." and she runs away.


Azuki narrates: Because I fell for Hiiragi-kun, I realized all sorts of feelings. Being so oblivious, confused and indecisive, I must have hurt you. I don’t even have any good points, so for liking the person that I am, thank you, Hiiragi-kun. Thank you.

Left alone at the stairwell, Mizuki realizes that he's still wearing Azuki's scarf. He recalls all of his memories and interactions with Azuki.


“You sure are cool, Hiiragi-kun.”
“Right now, Hiiragi-kun is Hiiragi-kun.”
“Depending on someone else is sometimes important too, you know?”
“If it’s just one finger, it’s ok…”
“Haha!”

Tears well up in Mizuki’s eyes and spill over. He thinks to himself, ‘...It’s fine, I guess. Just for today–...’


Comments